You’re probably hoping to find ways to support your immune system to avoid getting sick. We can’t blame you! The team at Rushmore Family Chiropractic is here to help you reboot your immune system so it will be a superhero at keeping you well this season!
Believe it or not, there is a link between your immune system and the alignment of your body’s vertebrae. If your spine is misaligned, it affects the ability of your nerves at the spinal column from communicating with the brain. A body that communicates with all its parts is one that has a higher chance of fighting off any infection it is exposed to.
Regular chiropractic adjustments are an excellent way to supercharge your body’s communication system and rev up its immune support. Here are a few other things you can do:
- Hydration: Drinking plenty of water is always important. During the winter, it’s beneficial to drink WARM fluids (herbal teas like ginger and echinacea, and savory broths). Skip the sugary sodas and concentrated juices and add in a weekly neti pot routine. These handy bottles filled with salinized water can keep your mucous membranes moist, protecting you from nasty microbes.
- Onions and Garlic: Vampires might not be fans of Garlic, but these bulbs are chock full of wonderful nutrients including Vitamins C and B6. Chives, scallions, leeks and shallots are part of the same family as onion and garlics, and they’re all delicious!
- Get plenty of sleep and exercise. Get some form of physical exercise every day. Yoga, calisthenics, walking and running, swimming and skiing – these are all great ways to stretch and move the body. The more you use your body, the more rest you need. Sleep is the MOST important thing you can do to be healthy. Aim for at least seven hours of sleep to set your body’s circadian rhythms which helps reduce inflammation in the body and increase healthy immune responses.
- Don’t Stress: Stress neutralizes the positive things we do to support our immune system. While some stress is natural, it is best to find appropriate ways to manage that stress (such as exercise, meditation, and talk therapy).
- We cannot emphasize how important Vitamin D is for good health. In these northern climates, we don’t get enough Vitamin D from the sun (especially in winter) which is critical for optimal immune function. Luckily for you, Rushmore Family Chiropractic carries many excellent supplements for the entire family, and we are happy to recommend the right choice to help you boost your immune system all winter long!
- One last thing: wash your hands!
If you or your loved one is concerned about staying healthy this winter, let’s schedule a visit. Your chiropractor will help you protect your health and give you the peace of mind to enjoy the winter without worry!